Search This Blog

Friday, March 22, 2019

My new adventure

Hello, my name is Karen. I have a confession. I am addicted to building things. Well, in reality, building things both real size and miniature, redesigning, remodeling, decorating, critiquing, power tools and multiple projects going on at the same time, which take a heck of a long time to get completed.

Take for example, my Dura Craft San Franciscan dollhouse. I've only had it for almost 29 years. Is it finished? Heck no. Now to be fair to myself, I had a three year old and a newborn when I received it as a Christmas gift. Regardless, I jumped right in! I had the walls and floors installed in now time and then the big glitch occurred. I found a miniature shop just a couple miles from my house. Oh no! You mean I could buy beautiful prebuilt windows and doors that were architecturally accurate? What about all of the wood moldings that were available? You mean to tell me there was wallpaper too? Holy cow! This was a previous interior design student's dream! But, the kicker was I could electrify it. Wowzers! I was in heaven.

Let the craziness begin. I bought a lot of new windows and doors. Unfortunately, the San Franciscan has a lot of windows. That was quite an expense. Of course, I had to buy a tape wire kit, and that was where all construction stopped. I chickened out. Got cold feet. Freaked. And so, my beautiful partially completed Victorian home spent years under stairs at one house, in my bedroom at the next, and finally in the attic of the home I live in now. Poor neglected baby.

Years and years later, my oldest son bought a home and moved out. Woohoo! Now I could have a craft room! I created the dream work area. Finally the special day arrived and my youngest son climbed up in our nasty attic and brought my baby down. Hello, beautiful! Oh, but wait, gee, those rooms are awfully small. The stairs look really dorky. Here it comes...remodel time. I took that poor house apart.

Documented proof that I had it partially completed. So, the story continues. Thanks for visiting! Karen



1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen! I am so excited that you left a comment on my blog and that led be here! I am so excited for you as you begin to embark on your miniature journey! There is no better time once the kids are raised and you find yourself with time and money all your own!
    I can't wait to see what 29 years worth of dreams will do for this wonderful San Fran, and how you'll apply your style and creativity to it! You're in my blog roll now so I won't miss a posting! Now get busy, lady! I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete